Skip to main content

Larry J. Malone Jr (Jauary 1, 1978)


I am a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) Survivor. I was only 11 years old when I was struck down from the inside. I had just started the 6th grade at Scarbrough Middle School in Mobile, Alabama.I had been having worse than horrible migraines which were so bad and so painful until sometimes I'd pass out. I became forgetful and sometimes I'd be there but, I wouldn't be there. If you understand what I'm saying. The final straw came when my principal had to call my mom and tell her that I had passed out and no one knew what was wrong with me but, before I passed out I had been complaining that my head was hurting.
My mom called my godmother Valerie Finley who was also my neighbor. She came and picked her up from her job and the two of them came to my school and picked me up and took me straight to the Emergency Room. When I got to the ER I had regained consciousness but, my head felt like it was about to explode. They ran all kinds of tests on me. They even tapped my spine. Thankfully, there was a neurosurgeon in the room and he said for them to give me a brain scan. That's how they discovered what was ailing me. I had a Massive Subdural Hematoma on the left side of my brain.
The doctors went out into the waiting room and told my parents exactly what was wrong with me. I had a blood clot on my brain and it was about to burst. So I had to have immediate surgery. I don't know how long it took but, I remember getting some great sleep. lol 
I had a total of 5 surgeries and I had 2 of the surgeries on my brain. The right side of my body was paralyzed for the first month that I was in the hospital. I was in there for a total of 3 months. They kept me under heavy sedation because of the type of surgeries that I had had. The blood clot that I had had removed also took something that I deemed more precious than gold to me. It took my speech. Well, it didn't actually take it. It actually remixed my speech. Because it slowed it down tremendously and it screwed and chopped it. Where I had been able to talk fluently and pronounce all of my words with acute pinpoint accuracy, I now could barely talk. For I had a stutter that was like no other. A few times I timed myself between words when I was trying to talk. On average it took me 3 and a half minutes between words when I was talking. I dealt with my stutter for over 12 years. I also lost all sight in one of my eyes. It took me 1 year and 3 months to get all the way back on my feet and learn to walk again.
But through it all, I didn't allow my struggle to overtake me and change me into a mean and bitter person. I could have but, I chose to walk the high road instead. I chose to walk in the light instead of walking in the darkness.

Today I can walk, talk, skip, hop, play video games, sing, see, hear, taste, read, along with a plethora of other things. This is my message to you: The storm will come but, it is how we manage while we're in our storms that often time decides the outcome. So smile. Smiles are free and they can lift your spirit and the spirits of those that are around you. I hope that me sharing my story helps someone. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PHYLLIS LINDA HYMAN (July 6, 1949 – June 30, 1995)

Phyllis Hyman was born in  Philadelphia ,  Pennsylvania , and grew up in  St. Clair Village , the  South Hills  section of  Pittsburgh . Born to an Italian mother, (Louise), and African-American father, (Phillip),  Hyman was the eldest of seven children. Through her paternal great-grandparents Ishmael and Cassandra (Cross) Hyman, she was also the first cousin once removed of actor  Earle Hyman  (best known for his recurring role on  The Cosby Show  as Cliff's father, Russell Huxtable). After leaving Pittsburgh, her music training started at a music school. On graduation, she performed on a national tour with the group New Direction in 1971. After the group disbanded, she joined All the People and worked with another local group, The Hondo Beat. At this time, she appeared in the film  Lenny  (1974). She also did a two-year stint leading a band called "Phyllis Hyman and the P/H Factor". She was discovered in 1975 by music industry veteran Sid Maurer, and former  Epic Re

Queen Philippa: England's First Black Queen

England's First Black Queen, Mother of the Black Prince Philippa was the daughter of William of Hainault, a lord in part of what is now Belgium. When she was nine the King of England, Edward II, decided that he would marry his son, the future Edward III, to her, and sent one of his bishops, a Bishop Stapeldon, to look at her. He described her thus: "The lady whom we saw has not uncomely hair, betwixt blue-black and brown. Her head is cleaned shaped; her forehead high and broad, and standing somewhat forward. Her face narrows between the eyes, and the lower part of her face is still more narrow and slender than the forehead. Her eyes are blackish brown and deep. Her nose is fairly smooth and even, save that is somewhat broad at the tip and flattened, yet it is no snub nose. Her nostrils are also broad, her mouth fairly wide. Her lips somewhat full and especially the lower lip…a

Elizabeth Key Grinstead (b. 1630 - d. c. after 1665)

Elizabeth Grimstead was one of the first women of  African  ancestry in the North American colonies to sue for her freedom from  slavery  and win. Elizabeth Key won her freedom and that of her infant son John Grinstead on July 21, 1656 in the colony of Virginia. She sued based on the fact that her father was an Englishman and that she was a  baptized   Christian . Based on these two factors, her English attorney and common-law husband William Grinstead argued successfully that she should be freed. The lawsuit in 1655 was one of the earliest " freedom suits " by a person of African ancestry in the English colonies. In response to Key's suit and other challenges, in 1662 the  Virginia House of Burgesses  passed a law that the status of children born in the colony would follow the status of the mother, "bond or free", rather than the father, as had been the precedent in English  common law  and was the case in England. This was the principle of  partus seq